Click below to see PowerPoint:
WK7AssgnLucas Part 1 Employee Development Plan
Employee Development Plan
Employee Development Plan
|Name: Montrice Lucas
Immediate Manager: Sarah Lee
Strengths: Creating an engaging atmosphere where learning can take place, connecting with learners to ensure they feel loved and important as well as helping them foster a love for learning.
Areas for Improvement: Classroom management/structure; ensuring that all students stay focused on their work while I work with the other grade level.
Long-term: Accept a position outside of the classroom dealing with the development of educational curriculum for elementary and secondary school systems, as well as college/university level courses.
Short-term: Continue to improve my skills working with many different age groups to ensure that they are achieving academic success.
- Graduate with my Masters in IDT with a specialization in Performance Improvement. Timing estimated to be Summer 2014.
- First client to allow me to showcase my skills and abilities. Timing estimated to be Fall 2014.
Training and Development Needs
- Professional Learning outside of the workplace
- Rationale: I think it would be great to see a pro teacher that has a classroom with combined grade levels in action. It would help me to gain a better grasp on how to transition between subjects and assignments with students. It will also show me examples of the classroom management that teacher provides.
- Adventure Learning
- Rationale: I currently feel like an outsider because this is my first year working here. My classroom is separate from everyone else (upstairs), so I only see everyone when I clock in and clock out. Adventure learning will help me feel like I belong with the organization. It will help me to build a positive working relationship with all employees, and will also help me develop skills such as leadership and teamwork.
- Performance Appraisal:
- Rationale: This will help measure my performance and allow me to know where improvements need to be made and what things I do well. It will also allow me to get feedback on ways to improve and what I should continue to do. “The appraisal system must tell employees specifically about their performance problems and how they can improve their performance” (Noe, 2013 p.383). This will help me to achieve the expected performance you desire me to have.
- Rationale: Having a mentor will help me develop into an even better teacher. I will get to learn from the more experienced teacher; share experience; get guidance; exposure and skills needed to be more successful.
|Employee: Montrice Lucas Date: April 20, 2014
Immediate Manager: Sarah Lee Date: April 20, 2014
Mentor: Brenda Ware Date: April 20, 2014
The five technologies that I want to discuss impact on how people learn and interact are:
• Mobile Learning
• Chat Rooms and Discussion Boards
• Microblogs or Microsharing (Twitter)
These are all technologies that I have experience using.
“Mobile learning refers to training delivered using a mobile device such as a smartphone, netbook, notebook computer, or iPad” (Noe, 2013 p.344). This allows trainees to learn from anywhere and at any time. I have had to use my iPhone and iPad on numerous occasions in order to access learning content and submit work as a graduate student. Sometimes it was because of unavoidable circumstances, such as being away from home, and not having access to my desktop computer, that caused me to have to use mobile technology in order to meet deadlines. “For mobile learning to be effective, it needs to be short, easy, and meaningful” It is important that the training materials be time conserving and meaningful because attention spans may be short looking at a small screen and learners may not have much time. It is suggested that mobile learning be used cohesively with face-to-face interaction in order to be effective.
Wikis, Blogs, microblogs, or microsharing, are all considered to be social media. They allow people to access them from online and mobile technology. These technologies are all interactive where people can communicate, share information, resources, videos, and many other forms of information. People are able to have discussions, and trainers are also able to coach trainees as they are engaging in different topics online. Many people use these types of technology every day to communicate with people whether good or bad.
Technology can be very effective is used properly. In an article I found using Google Scholar, it discusses factors influencing the effective use of technology in the classroom. It discusses how it can be a slow, time-consuming process, which is very true. It can also require the trainer to change teaching strategies in order to be effective. http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED471140.pdf